Within our modern purpose built classroom, we are able to provide the children with the basic provision within the indoor and outdoor environments which we plan for on a daily basis. These areas all have resources accessible for the children to choose from, supporting their personal interests.
The classroom is defined into different areas of learning:
- A quiet area for stories, discussions (area known as our book corner)
- Wet play area, this is our creative area for painting, arts & crafts and also sees the sand and water and malleable/sensory activities.
- Outdoor area, the pre-school has its own private, large garden which is to the back of the building, providing free flow play. This area sees a lovely spacious, quiet area for an outdoor sandpit, tarmac track for the bikes, playhouses / willow huts, growing area and mud kitchen.
We also take the opportunities of the beautiful outdoor environment to explore, by going on village walks and are fortunate to have a train station & park that we can visit also.
- A home corner for imaginative play
- Carpet area for construction and small world
- Mark making area
- Modern computers and Ipad, where the children can gain simple ICT skills
- Kitchen facilities for staff only – low level breakfast bar, which enables children to sit at and watch/ help prepare breakfast, snack and join in with cookery safely without the need of being within the kitchen itself.
- Toilets with nappy changing and hand washing facilities (children in nappies welcomed)
We also have access to the spacious school playing field, playground and climbing equipment for outdoor play, which is encouraged on a daily basis, enabling the children to experience the different seasons and in the winter season we ask children to bring their wellies so that they can enjoy jumping in puddles, go for walks, make footprints in the snow and mud, walking through the fallen leaves all from still enjoying the great outdoors in the wetter months, without the worry of getting their indoor shoes messy!
We have a wide range of toys/ activities to cater for all interests and abilities. If a child has any special requirements or needs help in particular areas the staff are more than happy to help.
We also get a visit from Wincanton’s Mobile Library Service, which comes every four weeks, where a small group of children can hop onto the big yellow bus and choose some books for the group to enjoy.
As part of Sticky Fingers Pre-School your child:
- Is in a safe and stimulating environment
- Is given generous care and attention, because of our high ratio of adults to children
- Has the chance to join in with other children and adults to live, play, work and learn together
- Is helped to take forward his/her learning and development by being helped to build on what he/she already knows and can do
- Has a personal Key Person who makes sure your child makes satisfying progress
- Is in a pre-school which sees you as a partner in helping your child to learn and develop
- Is in a pre-school in which parents help to shape the service it offers